In today’s blog, my goal is to:
• Share with you my health struggles and how I got here today
• Share my TOP 10 Nutrition Tips to give you a healthy jumpstart
• Announce my upcoming Radio Show and Live Health Class
• Give you a delicious easy recipe that the whole family will enjoy
Last month I left my corporate sales job after 8 years to pursue my passion in Holistic Health & Wellness, and I haven’t looked back! It’s been an interesting transition and to be honest, and I’m still getting used to my new life. I did give up some pretty cool perks like a good steady income, free home Internet, free car & gas, even free car washes! But there’s so much that I’ve gained! I’ve gained the FREEDOM to be my own boss, to live my purpose, and to help spread awareness about health & wellness.
I’d like to share with you how my life was before I found the answers that helped me get out of my health misery and led me to where I am today. Since I was 17, I’ve had chronic migraine headaches and poor digestive health. My health continued to get worse as I got older because I kept eating the wrong foods and taking a host of different pain & stomach medications. I saw countless medical doctors and went through all the standard western medical testing and procedures. I can’t remember how many drugs I’ve experimented with ranging from emergency pain pills, antidepressants, anti-epilepsy, antacids, to birth control. None of them did much good, only gave me severe side effects. I also experimented with alternative treatments like acupuncture, Chinese medicine, massage, homeopathy, chiropractic, and even Botox. Although these alternative treatments helped reduce the pain, they were not the cure and I found myself getting more lost, confused, and desperate.
At the age of 25, I went on long-term disability twice within a year because I couldn’t leave the house without the risk of getting a headache. By then, I was having 3-5 debilitating migraines a week and they kept me isolated at home, which seemed to be my only safe haven. My whole life seemed dark as it revolved around my headaches and my poor health.
Fast forwards years later, I was already 30, and my health was a bit better, but not a whole lot. I’ve then developed a bunch of other health issues like food allergies, severe stomach & digestive problems, stress & anxiety, hormonal issues, and chronic body pain, due to years of taking medications and eating a poor diet. I was also 15-20 lbs. overweight, unhappy, and had very low self-esteem.
Fortunately, about 2 years ago, I finally found the answer after 13 years of searching. I can heal almost all of my health issues by simply eating a diet filled with nurturing foods in combination with a mindful, healthy & active lifestyle. Yes, it was that simple, and to think about all those years, and all those tears, none of the doctors ever told me about nutrition & lifestyle, only expensive drugs and procedures! Since I shifted to a new way of life, I’m feeling healthier and happier than ever and my life is on an upward trend. My migraines have reduced by 90%, my stomach issues are healed, and most importantly, I have a deeper understanding of how certain foods and lifestyle habits directly affect me. As a bonus, I’ve managed to lose 20 lbs. and maintained a healthy weight without even trying!
Why do I choose to share my story with you? It’s to show that even the most complicated health issues can be healed or greatly improved through positive diet and lifestyle changes. I’ve witnessed many of my friends, colleagues, and clients completely shift their health by adopting this way of life. You or your loved ones may be struggling with chronic health conditions or are unhappy with your weight. If there’s anything that I’d like you to take away today, is that you CAN find your ultimate health and happiness with the right mindset, good nutrition, and a nurturing lifestyle.
That being said, here are my TOP 10 Nutrition Tips to give you a jumpstart:
1. Drink plenty of good water (i.e. well filtered, alkaline), at least half of your body weight in ounces of water a day. This is crucial for proper physical, mental, and emotional functioning.
2. Drink less caffeine, alcohol, and sugary drinks. Cut out the Soda and also skip any “diet” or “sugar free” beverages, as these have extreme negative affects on the body.
3. Eat a diet mainly composed of high alkaline green leafy vegetables & other vegetables (at least 50-60% of your diet should be vegetables). Examples: kale, chard, collards, romaine lettuce, spinach, bok choi, brocolli, cauliflower, etc.
4. Eat plenty of root vegetables & squash, they are very nutritious and grounding for the mind & body. Examples: sweet potatoes, beets, carrots, rutabaga, parsnips, burdock root, butternut squash, pumpkin, etc.
5. Eat 2-3 servings of fresh fruit a day; berries are the best and full of antioxidants!
6. Eat small seeds like chia, hemp, flax, sesame, sunflower, and pumpkin seeds. These are full of calcium, zinc, healthy protein and omega 3 fatty acids. Nuts are also very beneficial.
7. Eat more whole grains and experiment with different grains like quinoa, millet, buckwheat, brown and wild rice. Eat less wheat and white rice.
8. Eat less meat & seafood and try to keep it to 2-4 times a week. If you eat animal protein, get the highest quality organic meats & wild caught seafood.
9. Eat less processed foods, anything that is in a packaged and no longer in its original form. Examples: chips, crackers, bread, pasta, candy bars, boxed cereals, canned foods, and frozen dinners. When you get packaged foods, make sure the ingredients label has less than 5 ingredients with names that you can pronounce.
10. Skip all Fast Foods! Cook at home more often and enjoy the wonderful food that you’ve prepared!
This may seem overwhelming at first, but no worries! Just take it one small step at a time. Even if you make one simple change from this list, you are on the right track to achieving better health and vitality.
Here are my upcoming events to further guide you to optimum health:
Sunday 9/29/13 @ 9AM PST, Radio Blog Talk Show with Burnette & Adrienne.
Topic: Healthy School Lunches & Snacks for your kids.
Tune in for Free!
Thursday 10/17/13 @ 7-9PM, Live Health & Nutrition Class at my house in Fremont!
Topic: Healthy Eating 101 Jumpstart, with recommendations of what to eat, what not to eat, 1-2 healthy food samples, and recipes.
To RSVP: contact me directly via phone or email. Space is limited so reserve your spot ASAP! (email: firstname.lastname@example.org , phone: 408-234-0011)
Cost: $15 per person or bring a friend for $20 for both!