We’ve been into pumpkin everything these days – pumpkin soup, waffles, smoothies… I just love this time of year when pumpkins and winter squashes are plentiful. We made these scrumptious waffles over the weekend and had the best breakfast. The kids enjoyed making them with me and they ate their fair share too!
Here’s the recipe, enjoy!
- 2 ½ cups rolled oats
- 1 cup steamed pumpkin or butternut squash, or 3/4 cup pumpkin puree
- 2 ripe bananas
- 1 tbsp ground flaxseeds or chia seeds
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1.5 cups water or a little more if needed
- Preheat a non-stick waffle iron.
- If you’re making the pumpkin or butternut squash from scratch, peel and cube them, then steam for about 12 mins until soft. You can also use canned pumpkin puree.
- Put all ingredients in a high speed blender and blend until smooth. You may need to use a plunger to help with the blending.
- Pour enough batter onto the hot iron to fill it evenly.
- Cook for about 5 minutes or until golden brown and waffle comes out clean.
- Enjoy with raw honey and fresh fruit!