It’s that time of year when so many of us are susceptible to catching different bugs that result in the cold or flu. Even when we try to eat healthy, drink lots of water, exercise and sleep, we may still get sick due to the various stress factors in life. The cold weather, holiday stress, traveling, emotional triggers during family get gatherings, the unusual amount of unhealthy food – these are all so real!
- Drink lots of pure water – One gallon a day (drink Essentia or Penta Water when possible)
- Drink warm ginger, lemon and honey water – 3x/day. If your symptoms are severe, I recommend drinking garlic water as well (recipes below).
- Drink herbal teas – dandelion, nettle, lemon balm, echinacea (1-3 cups a day).
- Drink freshly pressed fruit & green juices – at least 16 oz/day
- Increase your raw fresh fruits and vegetable intake (eg. berries, mangos, papayas, apples, pears, kale, spinach, and celery).
- Take Ionic Zinc by Good State (at least 10-20 drops/day) or another good zinc from the health food store.
- Take Vitamin C by Garden of Life or Ester C by Pure Encapsulations (at least 1000 mg/day) or another good Vitamin C from the health food store.
- Take echinacea/goldenseal if you’re just feeling the first early signs. Add Black Elderberry if your symptoms are more severe. Gaia herb or Herb Pharm are good ones.
- Use pure organic essential oils like Eucalyptus, Lavender, Thyme, Rosemary, Sage, or Olbas Oil. Rub on your belly, chest, and spine with a carrier oil like calendula or jojoba. You can also diffuse the oils or put a couple drops in your palms and breath in deeply.
- Eat light meals only, take in more fluids and less solid foods. Fresh smoothies with fruit & leafy greens or blended soups with squashes, root vegetables, onion, garlic and ginger are so healing! You can find some great recipes on my blog.
- Be mindful not to take in foods and drinks that at are cold. Room temperature or warm are best.
- Try to eat less or omit animal protein, eggs, gluten, dairy, fried foods, sugar and processed foods.
- Rest, rest, and rest! Most likely your body got sick because it reached a state of overwhelm and stress. It is wise to take it easy so your body can restore itself.
- Do things that are nourishing and calming for your body, mind and soul. Some wonderful activities are: meditating, praying, taking light walks outside, doing yoga, getting sunshine, reading, and whatever else you love to do.
- Leave work stress and other stress aside for now. You need to fully recover so you can be your best self again. Anything unnecessary can wait!
- Take this time to go inward and connect with yourself. Listen to your body, it will tell you what’s really going on – the physical, emotional and mental imbalances, and what it needs to come back to alignment.
- Be kind to yourself, connect with love, compassion and gratitude.