2 cups buckwheat flour (can ground at home in a high-speed blender or buy flour at health food store)
<em>*Optional: use 1 ½ cups buckwheat flour + ½ cup millet flour for a great variation</em>
¼ cup chia or flax seeds
2 cups room temperature water
2 ½ cups finely grated carrots or beets (use food processor)
½ an onion, can be combined with carrots or beets in food processor
1 tsp. sea salt
½ tsp. garlic or onion powder
1-2 tsp. mixed dried herbs (oregano, parsley, basil, rosemary, etc.)
Extra salt & herbs to sprinkle on top of bread
- Preheat oven to 400F. Grease a 9×13 square cake pan with olive or coconut oil.
- Mix all ingredients well in a large bowl. Poor batter into pan and some salt and dried herbs on top.
- Bake for 40-50 minutes or until a fork comes out clean.
- Optional for crunchy bread – take out of the oven after 45 minutes of baking, cut into small 2” squares, then put the pan back into the oven for 5 minutes.
- Enjoy with creamy cashew spread (below) or top with avocado, tomato & cucumber for a filling lunch!
Creamy Savory Cashew Sauce & Dip
(This is a great spread on buckwheat bread and a yummy dip for everything!)
1 cup raw cashews, soaked for >4 hours or overnight
1/2 to 1 cup of raw sauerkraut and juice
1-2 garlic cloves
1/2 tsp. dried herbs
2 Tsp. fresh herbs like green onion, cilantro, or parsley (optional)
- Put all ingredients in a high-speed blender and blend for about 60 seconds or until smooth, use a plunger if necessary.
- Add a bit more of water or sauerkraut juice if it’s too thick. This sauce is good with everything. Try it as a sauce, a dip or a spread!